Fleet management consulting services offer businesses the insight they need to put advanced technology to work to improve fleet performance. They focus on providing expert advice on the use of custom telematics in many key areas, including DOT compliance, fleet and driver safety, routing and dispatch, and asset tracking.
Purchasing advanced, connected systems is just the start for fleets. Experts in the field can guide them before the purchase, ensuring they buy the right systems for their situation. They also help them after the purchase, offering advice on the best practices to get the most return for their telematics investment.
They can even offer advice based on factors such as the season, including how to prepare for winter driving, as well as the systems that help fleets deal with common issues such as distracted driving.
What To Look For in Fleet Management Consulting Services
When looking for fleet management consultants, businesses should focus on certain traits that are common with successful consultants. It’s easy to get caught up in what telematics can do, but it’s key to have someone who understands what works best for your specific business.
They Get to Know The Business
The best consultants already bring a deep knowledge of the commercial transport and fleet management industries. They also should do their homework on your specific industry, the issues you face, and have ideas for ways to overcome challenges. And they also should ask questions about what they don’t know, showing an interest in learning the details about the business.
They Develop Customized Solutions
Veteran telematics providers know that the “one size fits all” solution does not exist. Even the way fleets use the same telematics systems can vary depending on a variety of factors. A pharmaceutical sales fleet will need different systems of telematics, training and support than a fleet of refrigerated trucks carrying medical supplies. Consultants should have experience in working with both and everything else in between.
They Should Have Expertise in These Main Areas
All fleets have certain issues that they must address. A fleet management consulting service should have experience and expertise in all of them.
- DOT compliance. Telematics can help fleets stay on track for filing reports required by the Department of Transportation (DOT), as well as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Fleet and driver safety. From dash cams to real-time coaching, telematics offer fleets options to improve driver performance and reduce risk.
- Routing and dispatch. Connected devices and GPS allow dispatches to choose the best routes based on current conditions
- Commercial vehicle recording and asset trackers. Advanced telematics devices make tracking rolling, powered and non-powered assets more convenient
The Importance of Fleet Management Consulting Services
Fleet telematics have advanced to a point where it’s difficult for fleet executives to keep track of all the nuances of every system. Fleet management consultants make doing so unnecessary. By staying current on the latest technology, they offer managers a go-to source for how to keep fleets competitive.
Used correctly, telematics offers fleets many advantages. They include:
- Increased efficiency
- Increased job satisfaction
- Improved driver performance
- Improved safety
- Better risk management
- Reduced maintenance costs
- A company that attracts the best drivers
Fleet managers who want to put telematics to use are on the right track. They can make the most of their decision by looking at companies that offer fleet management consulting services along with the latest in custom telematics.
"*" indicates required fields